Experiment With Resin

I’ve been wanting to play with resin and coloring it with different mediums. So, I made a frame out of sterling silver square wire and added a few components on it, then filled the cells with resin. I’ll mention what I learned after the picture.

ResinCharm-Sanded

First, I shouldn’t have used 18 gauge square wire for the frame. It’s a little too small so my sides are short. Not that that matters so much but it makes it flat looking and has no dimension. Secondly, I over poured the resin for the middle circle so some of it oozed out, that’s why there is a haze around the ring. Next time I plan to use rectangle wire for the sides and only use color on the bottom, let that dry, then fill with clear. Also, I used acrylic paint for the bluish purple circle. It caused the resin to “plaque”, I think that’s because acrylic paint is water-based. I like the opaque-ness of it, not that keen on the plaque. The greenish color I used Adirondack Ink. It sure makes a nice transparent color. I really like how the silver design shows through. Not sure if that’s because the resin isn’t very thick or what. I guess I’ll find out on my next piece when I make another one with higher sides.

 

Advertisements
Published in: on March 12, 2013 at 6:08 pm  Comments Off on Experiment With Resin  
Tags: , , ,