More Resin Experiments

I’ve wanted to make some kind of talisman type pendant as love that ancient rustic look but the problem is, my creativity seems to have some kind of blockage as I can never achieve the look. I’ve learned to go with the flow and not fight it. I’m still going to make something that looks like a contemporary talisman pendant – if there is a thing like that. So, I started with these three pieces. I don’t know if I’m going to use them all in one pendant as I plan to add other components.

ResinDangles

I got a reflection when I took the picture on the pink piece so that thing on the right is just light bouncing off it. It’s really smooth and clear. I used Adirondack Inks. The colors are nothing like the way the colors turn out on other things, like fabric. On the left, the jello orange color is Cranberry, the middle one is Wild Plum, and the right one I used Stream. I wanted a purple one but the Eggplant color turned out an awful bluish gray. It wasn’t pretty. What I like about the Adirondack Inks is the transparency. I still want to try oil paints and chalk pastels in resin. If the chalk pastels work, I’ll be able to get a lot of different colors. Yeah!!

Published in: on March 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm  Comments Off on More Resin Experiments  
Tags: , , ,

Experiment With Resin

I’ve been wanting to play with resin and coloring it with different mediums. So, I made a frame out of sterling silver square wire and added a few components on it, then filled the cells with resin. I’ll mention what I learned after the picture.

ResinCharm-Sanded

First, I shouldn’t have used 18 gauge square wire for the frame. It’s a little too small so my sides are short. Not that that matters so much but it makes it flat looking and has no dimension. Secondly, I over poured the resin for the middle circle so some of it oozed out, that’s why there is a haze around the ring. Next time I plan to use rectangle wire for the sides and only use color on the bottom, let that dry, then fill with clear. Also, I used acrylic paint for the bluish purple circle. It caused the resin to “plaque”, I think that’s because acrylic paint is water-based. I like the opaque-ness of it, not that keen on the plaque. The greenish color I used Adirondack Ink. It sure makes a nice transparent color. I really like how the silver design shows through. Not sure if that’s because the resin isn’t very thick or what. I guess I’ll find out on my next piece when I make another one with higher sides.

 

Published in: on March 12, 2013 at 6:08 pm  Comments Off on Experiment With Resin  
Tags: , , ,